Sunday, August 9, 2009

Christmas in August, Luaus, Friends, and Food

I was not aware that Christmas was in August. Judging from the hordes of people who stampeded into Target today, you would have thought it was. I have never seen it as busy as it was today before, at least, October. I have no idea what caused this mad rush, but I'm glad I got out at 5.

I attended a luau last night. It seemed odd to me before I actually went (honestly I didn't even decide to go until a few hours before), but I actually had a really good time. It was supposed to be a luau, but it was pretty much a group of people sitting around a table, munching on hamburgers, watermelon, and shark-shaped fruit snacks, while surrounded by Hawaiian-style decorations and an animal-themed totem poll. I'm not quite sure where the totem pole fit into the style of the party, but it was a common conversation piece throughout the night.

I'm glad I went. While I'm content with my current groups of friends, I'm always open to meeting new people. Before last night, I barely knew any of the people at the party (yet I work with all of them), but they were nice enough to invite me to their party, and were quite welcoming. It's refreshing to have experiences like that, especially when certain friends are acting in the opposite way recently. I do hope I get the chance to enjoy the company of the luau bunch again before everyone goes back to school. If I don't though, that's just another group of people who I will look forward to seeing during the holidays.

I've become obsessed with this place called Bourbon Street in the food court in the mall. They have mainly Chinese food like lo mein, egg rolls, and various types of asain chicken, but with some great American hits like mashed potatoes and mac and cheese. I can't believe how much (great tasting) food they give for charging so little charge. Plus if you buy 9 meals, you get the 10th free. I'm baffled by the value.

I have high hopes for the band The Fortune Teller.

I've made a to-do list for this Tuesday and I'm really aiming to get most of the things on it done.

I also forsee Wednesday being a good day. Just a hunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment