Sunday, June 28, 2009

Logic, Prelude to Montauk

In a recent conversation the other day, I noticed something. I was talking to my friend's younger brother (I believe he's 14), and i realized how much I take logic for granted. I was baffled by the fact that the kid not only could not form a logical argument, but he couldn't understand one either.In his mind, something was simply because it was. He didn't wonder why it was that way, or why it wasn't another way, or even the fact that just because something is doesn't mean it's right. The more I thought about it though, the more i realized that it wasn't completely his fault. Logic is an acquired skill (maybe skill isn't the right word?), and you can't really teach it to someone without them figuring out some degree of it for themselves. 

Someone without a logical basis may do something that does not seem logical to everyone else simply because they feel like it or because they wanted to, without rationalizing whether the act is beneficial or harmful to anyone else. Unfortunately though, trying to explain that to them is near impossible, because the simple idea of 'this + this = that' just does not compute for them.

In other news, I'm leaving for Montauk Tuesday morning and will be back briefly on Friday night, and then back permanently on Sunday night. I'm looking forward to it, as Montauk just embodies relaxation and serenity for me. Seafood is good too. I don't even mind the two hour drive, because that's time for massive amounts of music listening. Just one more day of work, and then a week of relaxation. Woo!


No comments:

Post a Comment