Monday, July 6, 2009

Montauk, Nietzsche

I finally got around to updating this. I had a great time in Montauk, specifically because I got to opportunity to relax and just let my stress dissipate. There's something about the beach that just draws the stress out of you and suffocates it under the waves. I also got to eat some divine tasting Yellowtail Flounder that I was missing since last year's trip. 

I started reading Thus Spoke Zarathustra today, a book that I've been trying to read for a while now. If you're unfamiliar with it, it's by Frederich Nietzsche. I find Nietzsche extremely interesting, specifically because everyone who either writes about him or has ample knowledge about him and his writings always feel that his deteriorated mental state was either contributed to or influenced by his writing. A man who was too intelligent for his own good hmm? Mind boggling. Either way, many of the things he had to say are concepts or ideas that almost any person with half a mind knows, but is either too blind to accept it, or is simply afraid to believe it. Nietzsche has a way of both simplifying an idea and tearing it down to the bare bones of it's meaning, while also elaborating on it and playing with several different meanings or viewpoints in order to figure out either an origin or an end. I've read that he's quite comical at times, but that most of the humor is lost when it is translated from German to English. Such a thing really drives to me to learn German at some point, so I can read his texts in their purest form. 

I'm a kabobsy twin.


No comments:

Post a Comment