Saturday, July 25, 2009

Irony, Handcuffs, Transition

I'm glad today is Saturday, because I needed a day off from work.

Various situations of irony have consumed my life and I find it hilarious. Well maybe not consumed, but they're definitely present.

Completely unrelated, one of my managers was taken out in handcuffs from work yesterday. I didn't quite get the full story, but the story that I heard from a very reliable source makes me a bit sad. I wasn't really friends with him, but I knew him and conversed with him on a regular basis in an acquaintance sort of way, and had established in my head that he seemed to be a genuinely good person. A real family man, who may have not loved his job, but wouldn't even think about quitting unless he found a better opportunity to provide for his wife and kids. Maybe that's related to why he was arrested. Without the full story, it's difficult to judge a motive though, so I won't take this any further at the moment.

At band practice last night, I realized something. The whole band is finally coming together as more than just band members but as friends. This type of transition first occured to me in my first band, when we recruited a vocalist. At first, he would just come to practice, and all conversations between him and the band would be music related. After several months of being in the band, he assimilated into our group of friends, and stopped being just our vocalist. The same has happened in my current band. When I first joined, I was just the new drummer, but soon after, I actually became friends with the rest of the band, and hung out with them outside band practice. It seems like this process is solidifying with our new guitarist. This kind of stuff makes me fell confident in the band overall, and I honestly feel like it affects the music positively as well.

I'm also currently reading a book called Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell. It's apparently somewhat popular, but I just started reading it because of a recommendation from a friend. I'm not far into it yet, but I'll probably update with my thoughts on it later on.

No comments:

Post a Comment