Sunday, April 19, 2009

Offense, Success, and My Outlook on Marijuana

Wow, I didn't even realize until now that I hadn't posted anything all week. Because of that, there's a few things that have been on my mind.

First off, something happened the other day, and I don't know the last time it happened before that. I was offended. I really don't remember the last time it happened because it's definitely not easy to offended me. Annoying me or making me mad is one thing (even though I tend to let most things slide, besides a few specific issues), but offending me is quite the feat. I'm not going to bother mentioning who it was or what happened specifically, because that really doesn't matter, but I'll just say that it was the way that I was spoken to that really caught me off guard. I don't think it's right for person #1 to speak for person #2, especially when they are both present, and it just makes person #1 seem like a controlling, passive-aggressive ( and maybe even pretentious) person, which they very well may be.

On a much different note, I'd like to speak of success. I have a friend (see "Two Tributes") who is in the process of overcoming a very difficult obstacle, and is progressing extremely well. One of the few things that I admire more than strong effort is an honest success. I just wanted to take this time to express to this person how proud I am of them for what they are doing.

My final musing, in light of tomorrow being 4/20, is on marijuana. While I'm not against it (I'll get to that in a bit), I do think the concept of a "holiday" for it is quite pointless. If you're going to smoke, just do it. Why do you need to mark a day on the calendar for it when you probably do it at least several other times during the year anyway. It doesn't make it any more legal, and it doesn't give you a better high just because it's on a certain day ( maybe the position of the sun and the planets and their gravitational pull on your brain...?). If you're going to smoke, then smoke. I just don't understand why you need to have some celebratory day in marijuana's honor. In my opinion, if you care about it that much, you might want to reevaluate your life and/or check your priorities. In the words of the Human Torch, flame on. Seriously though, I welcome responses to this, whatever your opinion is.

Since I brought this topic up, I figured I'd share my ideas on the actual idea of weed in general. Let's start with the facts. I've never smoked it, and never will. However, it's for a unique reason that is different from most people who don't smoke, yet it's probably a lot more basic. I just don't like the concept of smoking things. The idea of inhaling foreign substances into my lungs isn't exactly my idea of fun. Smoke me up some ham or cheese, but don't bother trying to pass me a joint.

However, as I said before, I'm not against weed completely. Though I have yet to, I have no problem with ingesting it in a non-smoked form. So if you're baking up a batch of you're special brownies, throw a party and I'll probably come down. I'm in no rush though, so if this doesn't happen for a while, that's all well and good.

Happy Pointless Nonexistent Holiday Everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment