Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Lighter Notes (Ambient Rock, Technical Death Metal, and Parenthesis)

I find it funny when people are surprised about the music that I listen to. I guess I'm "known" for listening to metal, or maybe I just give off that vibe (?), but people are always shocked to believe that I listen to other types of music too. I guess because they see a lot of the music that I listen to as drastically different from the rest, which I guess it is in a way, but it's all enjoyable nonetheless. A friend at school the other day was very surprised when he found out that I listen to Death Cab For Cutie. That doesn't mean that I can't listen to Necrophagist too. Ambient rock and technical death metal are extremely different (obviously), but that doesn't really matter to me if it sounds pleasing coming through my headphones or speakers.

I've often used to say that I dislike untalented music, but recently I've rephrased that; I dislike distasteful music. Music that is either overly simple or too complicated (of course, based on my own opinion) are two factors that push me away from listening to certain bands. People who are familiar with the two bands that I mentioned earlier (Death Cab For Cutie and Necrophagist) might claim that the fit into those two categories respectively, but I disagree. I do not have a reason why, except that I simply find both bands (and many on the spectrum in between) to be very listenable and talented in their own way. Death Cab can generate a huge amount of feeling and emotion out of the simplest guitar chords and drum beats, while Necrophagist can blow my mind with the sheer speed and technicality that they play. Each is different to listen to, but equally satisfying.

I've also been in a parenthesis phase (can you tell?), and I find that amusing as well, because I never realized how important or useful they are. They're like little pockets that you can stuff with information and put it basically wherever you want in a sentence, provided that the sentence still makes sense and the purpose of your it isn't diluted. Whenever I read something that has parenthesis, I always imagine the author changing their tone of voice (or at least the tone of the reading voice in my head changes), which really helps me to get more out of what I'm reading. By sticking words in parenthesis, you can completely alter how a reader perceives and comprehends what you're saying. By sticking words in parenthesis, you can completely alter how a reader perceives (and comprehends) what you're saying. That probably wasn't the best example, but, to me, it put different emphasis on the words "perceives" and "comprehends". Reading this back, I feel like I just tried to each a lesson on grammar. Mental note: Musings probably should not include grammar lessons.

No comments:

Post a Comment